Waterfield Sotheby's International Realty Checklist for Selling
You’re thinking about selling your home.
You know there are a lot of things to consider before taking this important lifestyle and financial step.
Before you proceed, be sure that you’ve asked yourself the key questions below and taken care of critical exterior, interior and systems projects so that you maximize the return on your investment. Take time to ensure that you and your home are ready to sell.
- Are you up-to-date on local market conditions and prices for homes that are comparable to yours? Have you considered renovating vs. moving? Consult with a Waterfield Sotheby’s International Realty associate who will provide you with detailed information, help you evaluate your options and price your home accurately.
- Have you budgeted for pre-sale and transaction-related expenses? Your sales associate and/or a real estate attorney can advise you about typical costs to the seller.
- Have you spoken with a financial advisor about tax implications of selling your home?
- Have you considered hiring a professional home inspector to assess the condition of your home so you can address any major problems prior to going on the market?
Preparation and Projects
Interior of your home:
- Check to see that all systems (heating, ventilating, electrical, plumbing) and fixtures are in good working order.
- Repair sticking doors and windows. Replace hardware as needed.
Small things matter to buyers so:
- Fix leaking faucets
- Repair discolored caulk
- Change burnt out light bulbs
- Address safety hazards such as loose hand rails and broken steps.
- Arrange and remove furniture to maximize space and showcase architectural features.
- De-clutter and de-personalize living spaces so that buyers can envision their own belongings in place.
- Clean and organize basement, attic and garage storage spaces.
- Make sure your home is sparkling clean. Wash windows, walls and woodwork. Consider a fresh coat of paint and remove/clean carpeting where needed.
- Consult your Waterfield Sotheby’s International Realty sales associate before making any capital improvements to enhance salability of your home.
Exterior of your home:
Curb appeal impresses buyers so:
- Spruce up your entryway to make it more inviting. Paint your front door. Decorate with seasonal plants.
- Trim and edge your lawn.
- Groom bushes and trees.
- Pick up debris. Store toys and lawn equipment.
- Check to see that your roof, fences, gates, gutters, downspouts and sprinkler system are in good repair.
- Fix/replace broken windows and torn screens as well as cracked driveways and walkways.
- Consider painting your house and replacing shutters.
Consult your Waterfield Sotheby’s International Realty sales associate about the potential return on this major investment.